Vendor Licensing

Rules and Forms for Street Vendor Licensing

Information about getting licensed

The City of Lexington issues the following types of licenses, without which a business entity may not operate. These must be renewed annually in most cases. Please contact Bill Brecks, (308) 324-2341. ext. 1112, or [email protected]. Required licensing includes:

Sales Tax

Merchants must register with the Nebraska Department of Revenue and comply with state and local sales tax regulations. Click here for more information from the State. In most cases, completing and submitting Form 20 to the State will be required. Find Form 20 here.

Food Handlers

Every business that sells prepared foods and/or beverages must be inspected and obtain a permit to operate from the Nebraska Department of Agriculture. Please call the Department of Agriculture for more information and to schedule your inspection. Once you are in their system, they will let you know about future inspections and annual permit renewals. Contact: (402) 471-2536


Forms and information for Vendor Licensing

Anyone who sells goods on foot or from a vehicle (including door-to-door) may be subject to Lexington’s Street Vendor Licensing requirement. Bring the completed application form along with the appropriate fees and other required documentation (e.g., the Sales Tax and Food Handlers documents described above) to the City Clerk, 406 East 7th Street, in Lexington during business hours. Allow up to a week for processing before operating in the City. Click here for a copy of the full ordinance. Exemptions to the requirement include recognized, established charitable organizations that have a business location in Dawson County, Nebraska; produce grown in Dawson County, Nebraska; and vendors participating in special events. Note that vending is not permitted within 400 feet of the center line of Highway 283 (Plum Creek Parkway) between I-80 interstate exchange, to about a mile north to Prospect Road.

If you have other questions or need more information, contact the Building Department at 308-324-2341.

Applications & Permits

Job Opportunities & Applications
Job Openings, Applications & Helpful Information

Zoning & Subdivision Information
Quick Links to Forms & Information

Building, Rezoning, & Subdivision Forms
this page needs content

Vendor Licensing
Rules and Forms for Street Vendor Licensing

Street Closing Application
Find the form here

Didn't find what  you're looking for?

Contact Us

406 E 7th Street
PO Box 70
Lexington, NE 68850
(308) 324-2341

Dennis Burnside
Asst. City Manager
[email protected]