Job Openings, Applications & Helpful Information
Personnel Director: Pam Baruth, [email protected]
Click here to download a City of Lexington employment application.
Click here to download a Personal History Statement Form (Police Applicants Only)
Best ways to submit applications: (1) email electronic version of completed application to Personnel Director Pam Baruth, [email protected]; (2) bring a hard copy of the completed application to the address at the end of this paragraph, attention Pam Baruth; or (3) mail hard copy of completed application to Pam Baruth at City of Lexington, PO Box 70, 406 E 7th Street, Lexington, NE 68850.
Full-time employee benefits include:
● Health Insurance ● Dental Insurance ● Life Insurance
● Retirement Plan ● Vacation ● Sick Leave
● Holidays ● Fitness Center Membership
Current Job Openings:
Due to a retirement, the City of Lexington is seeking a new Police Chief. The Police Chief plans, organizes, directs and controls the functions of the Police Department; develops and implements policies, procedures and practices to protect life and property through law enforcement and crime prevention work; assures the efficient and economical use of departmental funds, the work force, facilities and time; assumes all the responsibilities and duties as prescribed by the City Manager, Law or as certain situations dictate.
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice or related field; or associates degree in similar fields paired with law enforcement training and experience, or high level of law enforcement training and experience may be considered in lieu of formal education.
- Five (5) years of supervisory experience;
- Certification from Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center basic course, or equivalent, or ability to obtain within one (1) year of appointment;
- State of Nebraska special certification in Supervision and Management within one (1) year of appointment;
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws.
- No past convictions of a felony, unless a pardon has been granted, or misdemeanor of a serious nature;
- Current Nebraska driver’s license or ability to obtain.
Send a letter of interest and resume electronically to Joe Pepplitsch, City Manager, at [email protected]. The first round of applicant review will be July 17, 2023. No other application materials are required at this time. The City of Lexington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Finance Director/Treasurer (full-time)
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field; or associates degree in similar area paired with job experience.
- At least 2 years of experience with governmental accounting.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Strong computer skills related to desktop and web-based applications.
- Successful customer service and management experience.
- Knowledge of utility rates and characteristics.
- Experience working with State and Federal grant applications and administration.
- Ability to create and maintain records.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs Accounting Program – includes supervision and direction of the treasury, budget, audit, tax, accounting, and purchasing for the city; appraisal of financial position and financial reports; analysis, consolidation, and direction of all cost accounting procedures; preparation of financial information for grant applications.
- Prepares Budget – includes direction and coordination of the budget process; coordinating budgetary expenses within all departments and submission of an annual budget statement for review by the City Manager and presentation to the City Council.
- Utility Office Management – includes managing utility office and data processing; responsible for preparation and collection of bills, collection and refunding of service deposits and miscellaneous contracts with customers.
- Supervises Employees – includes overseeing 6 to 8 employees in Accounting and Utilities Departments; developing operational procedures and policies; employee training and evaluation.
Send a letter of interest and resume electronically to Joe Pepplitsch, City Manager, at [email protected]. The first round of applicant review will be June 30, 2023. No other application materials are required at this time. The City of Lexington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Police Officer (full-time)
Certified applicants will be required to complete the department’s field training program. Non-certified applicants will be attending basic training at the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center with full pay and benefits. Other qualifications include being at least 21 years of age, a United States citizen, the ability to work weekends, holidays and nights as needed; possess a valid Nebraska operator’s license and have a good driving record; possess a high school diploma or GED. Must be of good moral character; no felony convictions, serious misdemeanors, domestic charges or dishonorable discharge from military service
Benefits include family health, dental, vision and life insurance; paid vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, 7 % match retirement, uniforms, full duty gear, mobile phone allowance and a choice of gym membership. Lexington is located in central Nebraska and is close to several state recreational areas including the beautiful Johnson Lake, is perfect for the camping, hunting, fishing and outdoor enthusiasts.
Certified applicants will be required to complete the department’s field training program. Non-certified applicants will be required to obtain Nebraska Law Enforcement Certification; be at least 21 years of age; a United States Citizen; the ability to work weekends, holidays, and nights as needed; possess a valid Nebraska driver’s license with a good driving record; possess a high school diploma or GED certificate. Must be of good moral character, no felony convictions, serious misdemeanors, domestic charges or dishonorable discharge from military service. Benefits include family health, dental, vision and life insurance; paid vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, 7% retirement match, uniforms and full duty gear, mobile phone allowance and choice of gym membership. Download the application form here AND personal history statement here, and mail or deliver to Captain Paul Schwarz (pschwa[email protected]) at 406 East 7th, PO BOX 70 Lexington NE 68850.
Park Maintenance Worker (full-time)
The Park Maintenance Worker will perform a variety of duties relating to upkeep of City parks and recreation facilities.
- Ability to operate and maintain light equipment (e.g. mowers, edgers, chainsaw, loader, hand tools, etc.)
- Ability to maintain irrigation systems.
- Ability to groom lawns, trees, bushes, etc.
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 80 pounds
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions
- Ability to follow written and oral directions
- Ability to work well with others
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Nebraska driver’s license
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
The City of Lexington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more Dawson County Employment Opportunities, click on one of the links below:
The City of Lexington does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admission of its programs, services, or activities, in access to them, in treatment of individuals with disabilities, or in any aspect of their operations. The City of Lexington also does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its hiring or employment practices.
This notice is provided as required by Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Questions, complaints, or requests for additional information or accommodation regarding the ADA and Section 504 may be forwarded to the designated ADA and Section 504 compliance coordinator:
Dennis Burnside, [email protected]
Assistant City Manager
406 E. 7th Street
PO Box 70
Lexington, NE 68850
M-F 9-5 Central
Applications & Permits
Job Opportunities & Applications
Job Openings, Applications & Helpful Information
Zoning & Subdivision Information
Quick Links to Forms & Information
Building, Rezoning, & Subdivision Forms
this page needs content
Rules and Forms for Street Vendor Licensing
Street Closing Application
Find the form here
Didn't find what you're looking for?
PO Box 70
Lexington, NE 68850
@2022 City of Lexington | All rights reserved. | Designed by Kevin Brown Design. Photo Credit: Brandon Bartoszek